Ohayoo, folks :)
Thought I'd post the results of some research I'd done on BRD quests. Although probably most of y'all already know most this, there may be some useful tidbits :)
First off, for those who don't have the Atlas addon (I highly recommend it) there's a map of the dungeon and blackrock mountain at http://www.wowwiki.com/images/5/53/BRDmap.jpg
Quests that start outside the dungeon:
- Dark Iron Legacy: This is a two part quest to get the Shadowforge Key, which is needed to get to the bigger part of the dungeon. Chibii has the key already, I'm 90% sure, which is handy because of 2 things:
1) the only reason the quest is a two-parter is so that the second part can't be shared. Everyone who wants the key has to talk to the questgiver.
2) the questgiver is a ghost. You have to be dead to talk to him. There's lots of easy ways to get dead in the area, of course, but it's still a little bit of a nuisance. Fortunately you don't have to talk to him to _finish_ the quest; just go find Fineous Darkvire, kill him for the hammer Ironfel, and use Ironfel to open the statue of Franclorn Forgewrite to get the key.
- The Heart of the Mountain (from Maxwort Uberglint, in Burning Steppes, in the cave at the north edge): Get the Heart of the Mountain from the vaults
- The Good Stuff (from Oralius, in Burning Steppes, in Morgan's Vigil): get fanny packs from dark iron dwarves
- Hurley Blackbreath (from Ragnar Thunderbrew in Dun Morogh, in Kharanos): get the stolen recipe back from Hurley Blackbreath
(this has a prequel quest, "Ragnar Thunderbrew", from Enohar Thunderbrew in the Blasted Lands, in Nethergarde Keep. I think the prequel is optional, but I'm not sure.)
- Incendius (from Jalinda Sprig in Burning Steppes, in Morgan's Vigil): Kill Incendius.
(this has a prequel quest, "Overmaster Pyron", also from Jalinda; Pyron is in Blackrock Mountain, along the route to the BRD instance, but is outside the instance itself.)
- Ribbly Screwspigot (from Yuka Screwspigot in Burning Steppes, in the northern cave): Bring Ribbly back so the Screwspigot family can claim the reward. Not all of Ribbly need make the trip, of course.
(this has a prequel quest, "Yuka Screwspigot", from Yorba Screwspigot in Steamwheedle Port in Tanaris, which is basically to go find Yuka. I think it's optional, but it yields 6500 xp if it's not grey...)
- A Taste of Flame (from Cyrus Therepentous in Burning Steppes, in the cave at the northeast corner of the zone): Kill Bael'rog, use the Molt to entrap his fiery essence, and take the Altered Mote back to Cyrus
(To get the Molt, you can either do some stuff for the dragon in Searing Gorge and get it from the chest which is your reward at the end of the chain, or do a quest with Cyrus where he summons a Frenzied Black Drake which you have to kill.)
- Kharan Mighthammer (from King Magni in Ironforge): Find Kharan Mighthammer in BRD and find out what happened to the king's daughter. Leads to...
- Kharan's Tale (from Kharan Mighthammer): Listen to his story. Leads to...
- The Bearer of Bad News (from Kharan Mighthammer): Go back to King Magni. Leads to...
- The Fate of the Kingdom (from King Magni): Go to BRD and kill the Emperor of the Dark Iron Dwarves. Leads to...
- The Princess's Surprise (from the princess): Go tell King Magni that she doesn't want to leave. Don't worry, he's not into killing the messenger :)
And the biggie, which is the start of the process of getting the key to reach Onyxia's Lair. Only quests marked + are actually in BRD, but ya gotta have context. There's a walkthrough at http://internetgames.about.com/od/worldofwarcraft/a/onykeya.htm but here's the summary.
- "Dragonkin Menace", from Helendis Riverhorn in Burning Steppes (in Morgan's Vigil): go kill some dragonkin. Leads to...
- The True Masters: Lots of running around. From Helendis, go to Magistrate Solomon in Lakeshire, then to Bolvar Fordragon in Stormwind Keep, then to Magistrate Solomon, then to Marshal Maxwell in Morgan's Vigil, then to Ragged John in the northern cave and back to Maxwell. Leads to...
+ Marshal Windsor (from Marshal Maxwell): find Marshal Windsor in BRD. Leads to...
+ Abandoned Hope (from Marshal Windsor): Tell Marshal Maxwell about Windsor. This doesn't directly lead to, but does open the way for...
+ A Crumpled Up Note (from A Crumpled Up Note, which is a dropped item in BRD that you can get after completing Abandoned Hope): Take the note to Windsor. Leads to...
+ A Shred of Hope (from Windsor): Get two pieces of paper from General Angerforge and Golem Lord Argelmach and take them to Windsor. Leads to...
+ Jailbreak! (from Windsor): Straightforward escort quest: get Windsor to the instance entrance, then report to Marshal Maxwell. Leads to...
+ Stormwind Rendezvous (from Marshal Maxwell): Go to stormwind, and rendezvous with Marshal Windsor. Leads to....
- The Great Masquerade (from marshal windsor): go with Windsor to Stormwind Keep, and expose Lady Prestor's secret. Highlord Bolvar will do most of the work. Leads to...
- The Dragon's Eye (from Highlord Bolvar): take a fragment of medallion and go find someone who can restore its power, which is Haleh in Winterspring. Leads to...
- Drakefire Amulet (from Haleh): Go to Upper Blackrock Spire, kill Drakkisath (the big boss of the instance), and get his blood. May have to do this multiple times to get blood for everyone. Take it back to Haleh and get your key to Onyxia's Lair.
- Attunement to the Core (from Lothos Riftwalker, in Blackrock Mountain, next to the Molten Core entrance): In blackrock depths is an entrance to Molten Core, guarded by nasty elementals. Get a Core Fragment and take it back to Lothos, and then you'll be able to enter Molten Core from where he is, without having to go through BRD.
- There's also a quest given by a mob in Dire Maul that involves killing someone in Blackrock Depths, but we can leave that be til we get to Dire Maul.
Quests that start in the dungeon:
Rocknot's Ale: There's a bar in the dungeon, with a door behind which is a substantial portion of the dungeon. This quest (buy some ale from the bartender and give it to Rocknot) triggers a set of events which will open the door.
The Love Potion: There's a succubus in the bar who's got a thing for Rocknot. he is, alas, oblivious. Turning in this quest will cause the succubus to drag Rocknot off, opening the door in the process. In later visits, you can just talk to the succubus to get her to sneak off with Rocknot. This is the easy way of getting the door open in later runs, but since the materials come from outside the dungeon you can't, of course, use it on your first trip.
The Spectral Chalice: There's a floating chalice; if you put in the right materials you can learn how to smelt Dark Iron Ore. Only useful for miners. I think Chibii has done this, so if you need Dark Iron smelted for something and you don't want to burn 2 star rubys, 20 bars of gold, and 10 bars of truesilver, just let me know.
So out of all of that, there's 3 chains where you have to leave the dungeon:
In the middle of King Magni's line, after finding Kharan Mighthammer
In the middle of the Onyxia Kye line, after finding Marshal Windsor
after reaching the bar, to get the materials for The Love Potion.
Which means that this is pretty much guaranteed to be at least a 2-run dungeon, and possibly more if there's something specific you need from BRD; for example:
- the Thorium Brotherhood has a major questgiver and faction-based vendor in the bar (Lohktos Darkbargainer; has recipes for enchanting, smithing, tailoring, leatherworking, and an alchemy transmute. How useful the recipes are nowadays I leave to those practicing the trades :)
- the libram quests from Mathredis Firestar in Burning Steppes involve components looted from the Dark Coffers in BRD
- the Spawn of Jubjub quest at the Darkmoon Faire requires Dark Iron Ale, obtained from the BRD bar
- there's a raid quest that involves taking out Incendius, but raid quests and non-raid quests can't be done at the same time, so I didn't list it above